THE GIVING TREE
© 1986 by Shel Silverstein

Synopsis
A classic book for all ages—for mothers and fathers! A moving parable about the gift of giving and the capacity to love, told throughout the life of a boy who grows to manhood and a tree that selflessly gives him her bounty through the years.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happiness is the journey not the destination.


Today I talked to a friend that was frustrated about a new job she just started.  It is highly commission based and there is lots of "cold" sales.  A position similar to a pharmaceutical rep that needs to visit doctors offices and drop off samples, and kiss ass, and bring lunch for everyone.

It was the first time in a long time that I thought of "The Secret".  I was telling her that getting the sale is just as much about her attitude as the product.  No matter how hard she tried to put on a happy face, it just doesn't work.  To be truly engaged passionate and confident about what your doing changes the world around you.  I then related it to The Secret which is a book and now, I think, a movie.  I suggested it to her.  I told her it was a motivational seminar for the masses - no cult required to join.

Then I said something that I've recently forgotten too:

Happiness is the journey not the destination.


For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - Real Life.But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first,
some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid.
At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.
This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness.
Happiness is the way.
So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one.Happiness is the journey, not the destination.





No comments:

Post a Comment