THE GIVING TREE
© 1986 by Shel Silverstein

Synopsis
A classic book for all ages—for mothers and fathers! A moving parable about the gift of giving and the capacity to love, told throughout the life of a boy who grows to manhood and a tree that selflessly gives him her bounty through the years.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bye Bye iPhone 4 - Good Riddance




The Evolution of the Blackberry, Courtesy of Gizmodo.
  I have been using a Blackberry device since LONG before Blackberry's
had telephones integrated in them. Believe it or not, it was a big
enough step forward to be able to read your e-mail on the go and to
look up anyone's phone number of street address.

Blackberry Model 850

In one hand you would have your green screen Blackberry and your cell phone in the other copying the phone number. Gosh darn it was that advance in technology change the face and pace of work, connectivity and decisions.
Actually the first Blackberry's with integrated phones were widely rejected because there was no speaker or handset - you were required
to use a specially designed, state of the art headset.
The headset sucked, you couldn't use your phone at all if you lost offorgot it and of you did, the battery lasted 15 minutes with luck.
By that time phones had advanced the fancy expensive models had speaker phone and a choice of 5 different ringtones. Imagine that!
Fortunately for Research in Motion they got things figured out just as
the promise of the hold grail of the smart phone emerged.

First Generation iPhone
 As a dedicated Blackberry user I will admit that once the Apple iPhone was launched I just had to have one. That lasted a couple weeks. I quickly learned that the iPhone was great for  ntertainment and "apps" that were mostly games.

If the iPhone was the ultimate entertainment, the Blackberry was still the workhorse of enhanced business productivity worldwide. The Apple iPhone couldn't even copy and paste and 4 generations later it's still clumsy.

iPhone 4 "FaceTime"
My girlfriend at the time had long been addicted to her iPhone (not
for work BTW) and with the release of the iPhone 4 she sacrificed
grocery money from her monthly budget to be one of the first to have
it. I was particularly interested in it's advanced productivity functions, it's "smarter" keyboard and it's ability to videochat (called "FaceTime"). Ithought that would be perfect to connect with business associates and co-workers during the day and, well, other things with my girlfriend at night if we weren't together. Not only did it turn out to be a proprietary system, it requires that you were connected to WI-FI.Experiment failed. The iPhone 4 suck just as badly as the earlier versions.

President Obama on the campaign trail
reacting to something receieved on his Blackberry.
There is a reason The President of the United States of America carries a Blackberry and not an iPhone. Therefore, I found it apropos to use my iPhone 4, as it's final task,to post this blog. I am switching back to a Blackberry.

 I am going to try out the Blackberry Torch with full touchscreen display and slide out keyboard.I am looking forward to returning "home" to the Blackberry world.
Those of you that ate tempted, step back from that ledge my friend.

The iPhone is returning to the heap of bygone phones that my kids play with.I haven't shed a tear, had a second thought other than excitement at the killer deal from Apple. The phone cost .01, free overnight
The Blackberry Torch
shipping and waived activation. How could I say no.
See you next in Blackberry land....

Although after authoring this post, I manually proofread it and looked for typos, I am sure that there are some I missed.  I unfortunately have to blame that with my lack of proficiency of typing on a screen instead of with keys like the Blackberry.  So please, excuse any errors, typos or formating problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment